Hardin County, Texas Genealogy
Hardin County, Texas genealogy and family tree research page. Find links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources that can help you track your Hardin Co., ancestors. Get going by constructing a Free Family Tree. Hardin County Quick Facts:
- Government Website: www.co.hardin.tx.us/
- Created Date / Origin: January 22, 1858 from Liberty County, Tyler County and Jefferson County
- County Seat: Kountze
- Named After: The Hardin family, earliest settlers of Liberty County
- Bordering Counties: Tyler County (north), Jasper County (east), Orange County (southeast), Jefferson County (south), Liberty County (southwest), Polk County (northwest)
- Incorporated Cities & Towns: Kountze, Lumberton, Rose Hill Acres, Silsbee, Sour Lake
Hardin County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Hardin County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Texas Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Texas State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Hardin County Historical & Genealogical Society, Post Office Box 1230, Kountze, Texas 77657; 409-755-1128
- Piney Woods Pioneer Genealogical Society, Rt L, Box 40s, Kountze 77625
- SouthEast Texas Genealogical & Historical Society, c/o Tyrrell Historical Library, P.O. Box 3827, Beaumont, TX 77704-3827
- Hardin Co. Records Available on Microfilm (tsl.state.tx.us)
- Hardin County, Texas Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Hardin County
- Hardin County, Texas Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Hardin County
- USGenWeb Archives for Hardin County
Hardin County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers typically overlook the great importance of Hardin County court, probate, and land documents as a source of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Texas courthouses and archives everywhere are the aspirations and worries of many Texas citizens.
The chances are excellent that your particular forefathers have left a detailed record of at least a number of elements of their lives in the Hardin County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
I highly recommend you get in touch with the clerk's office to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts prior to visiting or asking for information because of sometimes changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A good number of workers will aid persons in obtaining the resources, however it's up to the man or women to do the research.
The following facts denotes exactly what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records will be in Hardin County. The dates pointed out listed below tend to be the first recognized records with this county. Courthouse burned about August 8, 1886. Early county records were destroyed in the conflagration. Some records were destroyed including the assessment rolls of the county, surveyor's records, and the county judge's records, including the probate records. The only records that may have been saved were those that were stored in an iron safe.
- Hardin County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: P.O. Box 38, Kountze 77625
- Hardin County Clerk is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: (409) 246-5185
- Birth & Death Records: 1903
- Marriage Records: 1862
- Land Records: 1849
- Probate Records: 1866
- Court Records: 1879
- Hardin County Tax Assessor-Collector Office is responsible for the the assessment of taxes on each property in the county and collection of that tax
- Texas Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from 1903. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Texas for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
Texas Historical Records
- Databases include Texas Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Texas Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Texas Voter Lists & Census Records; Texas Immigration & Emigration Records; Texas Obituary Records; Texas Military Records; Texas Family Tree Records; Texas Pictures; Texas Stories, Memories & Histories; Texas Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Hardin County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relating to Hardin County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to present your own most liked Hardin County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Hardin Co. TX Books, Newspapers & Publications
Hardin Co. TX Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in Texas
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Texas Birth Records 1927-2010 (archives.com) Texas Department of State Health Services
- Texas Birth Certificates, 1903-10 and 1926-29 (fold3.com) Official birth certificates from the Texas State Board of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, for the years 1903-10 and 1926-29. Browse by county, then year, then surname, beginning with the first letters of the last name of the person you seek.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 to 2008 (archives.com) Texas Department of State Health Services
- Texas Death Records 1964-2010 (archives.com) Texas Department of State Health Services
- Texas Death Certificates, 1890-1976 (fold3.com) Official birth certificates from the Texas State Board of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, for the years 1903-10 and 1926-29. These records are searchable by first and last name of the deceased, year, county, and city.
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com) Search over 82 million death records and get genealogical information crucial to your family research.
Hardin Co. TX Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Hardin Co. TX Census Records
Hardin Co. TX Cemeteries & Graveyards
Hardin Co. TX Church & Bible Records
Hardin Co. TX Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Hardin Co. TX General and History Websites
Hardin Co. TX Immigration & Naturalization
Hardin Co. TX Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Hardin Co. TX Military Records
Hardin Co. TX Schools & Directories